Recipe Name: Chocolate Cupcake with Tom Brown PLUS
- Preparation Time15 min
- Cooking Time20 min
- Total Time35 min
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 3/4 cup + 2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cups natural unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 2/3 cup canola oil vegetable oil would also be fine
- 1 cup milk
- 2 eggs lightly beaten (preferably room temperature)
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup hot water (or hot coffee or 1 tsp instant coffee dissolved into 1 cup hot water)
Preheat oven to 350F and line muffin tin with cupcake liners (or lightly grease and flour)
In large bowl, whisk together sugar, flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
Stir in canola oil and milk, stirring until combined
Add eggs, one at a time, stirring after each addition
Stir in vanilla extract
Add hot water and stir until the mixture is evenly combined (it will be a thin batter. When you first add the water the batter will separate a bit, stir until it is even in texture. Be careful with the hot water as it may splatter as it is stirred). Batter will be very thin, don’t panic!
Fill prepared muffin tin cavities just over 2/3 of the way full* and bake at 350F for 18-22 minutes (use the toothpick test to check).
Allow cupcakes to cool completely before frosting