It is considered to be the oldest cereal in Africa, Acha (Fonio) is much richer in sulphur amino acids: methionine and cystine. It is gluten-free. It is considered as one of the best-tasting cereals in Africa. Acha (Fonio) is very nutritional with a neutral taste and it has 5 times more iron than quinoa. Acha (Fonio) is reputed to be richer in magnesium, zinc, and manganese than other cereals. It is also significantly richer in thiamine (Vitamin B1), riboflavin (Vitamin B2), calcium and phosphorous than white rice. It is a grain traditionally used for porridges and steamed cooked food. The species is known to have high carbohydrate and protein levels. Acha (Fonio) compared to other cereal crops, has greater protein, carbohydrate, and fibre content.
- It aids cardiovascular function
- Recommended by doctors as an optimal food for diabetic patients- Acha has got lower glycemic index.
- Acha (Fonio) is an energy food and doesn’t dramatically boost blood glucose levels
- It is Gluten free
- It aids digestion because it is simpler to digest and is also suitable for children and older people. It’s got sufficient quantity of fibers that are necessary to keep digestive system smooth. It will help in bowel motions and helps prevent constipation
- Acha (Fonio) is promoted in the west as great in weight loss. This particular energy food provides great deal of fibers and provides a feeling of filled stomach. With low glycemic index, it can benefit body decrease food cravings whilst offering required energy required. As a result it may help with managing weight.
- It is extremely full of important amino acids, folic acid as well as iron, thus beneficial for women. As a result, it plays an important role in iron metabolism. It’s good in avoiding anaemia. This particular nourishing food is typically suitable for pregnant as well as lactating women in Africa.
- Great for skin and hair. It contains Methionine which can be essential for the formation of cartilage. It strengthens your nails and hair. It helps in avoiding hair loss, helps in detoxification and therefore keeps the skin healthy.
- It helps liver function and helps in detoxing process.